Webster County Courthouse
Listed as a Mississippi Landmark
One of prominent Mississippi architect N.W. Overstreet’s first projects, construction of the Webster County Courthouse started in 1913 and was completed in 1915. This grand Beaux Arts structure has been the centerpiece for community life in Webster County for nearly one hundred years. On January 17, 2013, an early morning fire severely damaged the Webster County Courthouse, putting its future in jeopardy. The roof and second-floor windows were completely destroyed, leaving the building open to the elements. After a community-wide debate about whether to save the structure, the Webster County Courthouse was recently awarded a $500,000 Community Heritage Preservation Grant by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History to stabilize the walls and reconstruct the roof.
2017 Update – Lost
Despite the offer of funding and efforts by local advocates, Webster County demolished the structure in 2016.
Nominated by: Holly Hawkins