Town of Carrollton
A quintessential 19th century town, Carrollton survives relatively intact, with a courthouse square surrounded by beautiful homes and historic downtown buildings. Carrollton is one of the largest historic districts on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States and several sites are Mississippi Landmarks. With little legal protection and a general lack of understanding about the importance of historic preservation, many have long feared for Carrollton’s rich architectural legacy.
Update – In Progress
Capitalizing on the charm and heritage of the town, Carrollton hosts an annual Pilgrimage and Pioneer Day Festival. The adoption of a Preservation Ordinance, the designation as a Certified Local Government by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and the restoration of several downtown buildings has catapulted the progress of protecting the character of the town. Many restoration projects are underway in Carrollton, including three buildings along Main Street. Dr. Rich Hill, a Carrollton dentist, refurbished a downtown building that now serves as his office. Shirley Nolan is in the process of restoring two adjacent buildings for commercial use. Restoration is complete on the Carrollton Community House, a 1936-era log building. Although some grant funding requests have fallen short, the city obtained a CLG grant in 2005 for its 1899-era Masonic Lodge building. Carrollton has done a partial restoration on its Town Hall and the oldest building in town, the Merrill Building, has had brick walls repaired among other projects. The Vance House has been restored and is currently serving as a private residence. City officials are also working on a restoration and ADA conversion of the Carroll County Courthouse.