Mobile and Ohio Railroad Depot
Aberdeen, Mississippi (Monroe County)
Completed around 1869, the Mobile and Ohio Railroad Depot, a vernacular Italianate structure of frame construction, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 8, 1983, and designated a Mississippi Landmark on May 20, 1986. The depot is significant as the oldest known extant railroad depot in Mississippi, as well as for its symbolic role in connecting Aberdeen to the rest of the South, thus insuring the city’s agricultural, commercial and industrial growth.
While the owner of the depot, the City of Aberdeen, has no plans to demolish the structure, the depot has been threatened by deterioration and lack of funds for restoration for many years. A local non-profit group is currently working to secure a lease agreement with the city.
While these developments are a move in the right direction, there is still much work to be done in order to ensure that this extremely important part of Mississippi’s railroad history is preserved for future generations.
2017 Update – In Progress
The City of Aberdeen and the South Monroe County Community Fund are actively working to save the building. The group was awarded an $8,000 Certified Local Government grant, which was matched by the city. The group has also received a Community Heritage Preservation Grant to help fund the $250,000 restoration.