Built around 1808, Meadvilla was the home of Cowles Mead, Secretary of the Mississippi Territory. During the later territorial period, the house served as a tavern and stagecoach stop operated by Moses Richardson. In 1828, Meadvilla became the home of Benjamin L. C. Wailes, scientist, historian, first state geologist, and first President of the Mississippi Historical Society. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a significant example of Federal style architecture. When listed as one of the state’s most endangered properties, the house was severely threatened by deterioration.
2015 Update – In Progress
Meadvilla luckily fell into the hands of current owners Stephen Cook and Windell Weeden, who are carefully restoring the property. The estimated date of completion is some time in 2016.