Jackson, Hinds County
Documented to the 1870’s but possibly built earlier, the Lowry House is an example of the “galleried planter’s cottage,” a regionally important house form of the 19th century. Examples were once widespread in the Jackson area, but very few now remain. Governor Robert Lowry, who served in office from 1882-1890, purchased the home shortly after leaving office and used it as his Jackson residence for about 30 years. Governor Lowry was a proponent of industrial development and strongly supported the expansion of Mississippi’s railroad system, which experienced spectacular growth during his years in office. The house originally faced Fortification Street and in 1914 was moved to make way for the extension of North Congress Street. The house was then moved to a newly opened lot on North Congress Street. In 2005, the house was in the path of the expansion of the Baptist Hospital and once again had to be moved to be saved. That year, Baptist Health Systems bought the Lowry House and donated it to MHT for its relocation and restoration as MHT’s new headquarters. In December 2005, MHT was awarded a Community Heritage Grant from MDAH for the relocation of the Lowry House. In the spring of 2007, work began on the foundation on the new lot and in the summer the house was moved. In 2008 the porches were restored with grant money from the 1772 Foundation. A Historic Structures Report was completed in 2009. Another grant was awarded in 2009 from MDAH for the restoration of the exterior and architectural plans for exterior were completed in 2010.
2017 Update – Saved
In 2005, the Mississippi Heritage Trust took up the challenge of relocating and restoring this architectural gem. Today the house is fully restored. The house is now a premier event venue for Jackson, as well as headquarters for the Mississippi Heritage Trust. We have already hosted many a successful party and event and continue to fill the Lowry House schedule with parties, weddings, and meetings. Our next focus will be the Lowry green space. Our goal is to transform the simple front and backyards into an early twentieth century appropriate garden. This goal is now within reach thanks to the Garden Club of Jackson, which recently awarded the Lowry House a $25,000 grant to fund a historic landscaping project. Visitors and MHT members will soon have access to a properly landscaped garden and outdoor space. The Mississippi Heritage Trust will soon be adding new stairs connecting the back porch of the Lowry House to the soon to be restored yard and garden below. Adding an additional set of steps will allow the Lowry House to be fully functional as an outdoor event space.