King Edward Hotel
Built in 1923 by New Orleans architect William T. Nolan on the same site as two previous prominent hotels, the King Edward Hotel was a significant hub of both social and political activity in Jackson. The hotel closed in 1967 and remained vacant for the over 40 years, suffering extensive damage. The decaying structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated as both a Mississippi Landmark and a Jackson Landmark.
Update – SAVED
After years of struggles with city opposition and problems finding an investor, renovations to the hotel began in 2007 and the new Hilton Garden Inn – Downtown Jackson, located in the King Edward Hotel, opened in the fall of 2009 featuring 186 hotel rooms, a restaurant, lounge, convenience store, coffee shop and fitness center. In addition, the building has 64 luxury apartments and retail space. Just steps away from the refurbished Union Station Train Terminal, the King Edward Hotel once again serves as a hub for Jackson’s downtown activity. The property delivers a distinctive mix of vintage charm, modern luxury, and Southern hospitality to downtown Jackson. Persistence and vision allowed the King Edward to once again bustle with activity and graciously welcome the road-weary traveler.