Jourdan River School
Kiln • Nominated by Community Wakeup and Men and Women of God Ministry
When loggers cutting trees near the Jourdan River in 2013, they uncovered a forgotten piece of history, the Jourdan River School. Also known as the Kiln Colored School, the one-room wooden schoolhouse was constructed in 1929 and served as a center of learning for African-American students until school desegregation in the 1950s. Today, the Jourdan River School is one of few remaining African American schools in South Mississippi.
Abandoned to the elements for over fifty years, the Jourdan River School is sadly deteriorated. While missing its windows and front portico, the building is still structurally sound and could be saved.