J.Z. George Law Office
Carrollton, Mississippi (Carroll County)
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the J. Z. George Law Office in Carrollton is relevant for its association with James Z. George, the state’s most dynamic leader in the Reconstruction era. George set up practice in this law office, which was reputedly constructed c. 1838, and occupied the office throughout the majority of his long and illustrious career, which included serving as chairman of the Democratic Executive Committee in 1875 when he directed the political campaign that ended Reconstruction in Mississippi. He became chief justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court in 1879, and from 1881 until 1897 served in the U.S. Senate, where he introduced the bill to create the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Recognized as one of the most brilliant constitutional lawyers of his day, George is accorded chief responsibility for the 1890 Mississippi Constitution.
When listed as one of Mississippi’s 10 Most Endangered Historic Places in 2003,George’s vernacular Greek Revival law office sat vacant, suffering deterioration.
2015 Update – Saved
This treasured historic structure, which saw so much of Mississippi history, has been lovingly restored by members of the George family. His descendants still own the property. It is fully restored, unoccupied, and ready for tenants.