Isaiah T. Montgomery House
West Main Street | Mound Bayou, MS
Listed as a National Historic Landmark
Built in 1910 by the founder and first mayor of Mound Bayou, the Isaiah T. Montgomery House has tremendous significance to the history of Mississippi. A two story brick structure with a full basement, the house has a spacious front porch with impressive square Doric columns. Born a slave on the plantation of Joseph Davis, brother of Jefferson Davis, Isaiah T. Montgomery led fellow freed slaves to establish the all black community of Mound Bayou in 1887. Given its proximity to the railroad and the fertile Delta land ideal for growing cotton, Mound Bayou flourished under Montgomery’s leadership. By the early twentieth century, Mound Bayou was one of the most prosperous communities in the state, with its own bank, school, industrial buildings and numerous shops. The town of Mound Bayou was granted its charter in 1912. Isaiah T. Montgomery, accountant, real estate developer, civil engineer and politician, died in 1924, leaving a legacy that should be remembered and celebrated.
The Isaiah T. Montgomery House is currently threatened by ongoing deterioration and lack of maintenance. The house is owned by the Knights and Daughters of Tabor, a civic organization that has expressed the desire to work with the city of Mound Bayou to restore the building for use as a bed and breakfast for medical staff and families of patients at the Taborian Urgent Care Center, scheduled to open in February 2014.
Nominated by: Whit Waide
2107 Update-In Progress
Mound Bayou residents are working with Mississippi Heritage Trust to fund the restoration of this piece of Delta History.