Hawkins Field Old Terminal
Jackson, Mississippi (Hinds County)
The Terminal Building at Hawkins Field in Jackson was constructed in 1936 with WPA labor and is of national importance as one of only a few relatively intact civil aviation facilities surviving from the 1930s. While not as elaborate or as large as some other airports across the country, the Terminal Building is a well-preserved example of the facilities built in smaller cities during the decade before World War II at the dawn of commercial aviation in the United States. In 1941, Hawkins Field was designated as the Jackson Air Base, and the Netherlands Military Flying School used the base to train Dutch pilots during WWII.
2015 Update – In Progress
Hawkins Field Old Terminal is currently undergoing extensive renovations thanks to funding from the U.S. Department of Interior, National Park Service, Mississippi Department of Archives and History, and the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority. The building’s infrastructure, exterior, roof, portico, canopy, doors, and windows will be repaired during the process.