Senatobia • Nominated by the Friends of the French Hotel
The French Hotel was constructed in 1858 by Dr. A.M. Arnold French, making it perhaps the oldest building in Senatobia. Dr. French and his wife owned and operated the hotel until his son, Jesse French, took over in 1912. Dr. French practiced medicine in Senatobia until 1903 and was awarded a gold medal in 1878 for his services rendered during the town’s yellow fever epidemic. The French Hotel is thought to have been the headquarters for General Nathan Bedford Forrest during the Civil War. Dr. French kept a hand-written description of inventory lost during the First, Second, Third, and Fourth raids of Senatobia.
Open to the elements, the French Hotel is in poor condition. The building is privately owned and the owners are willing to sell the property. Residents of Senatobia would like to see this historic place restored to once again become a gracious hotel.