Navigation Menu
Ceres Plantation

Ceres Plantation

c. 1860

Flowers, Warren County

Ceres Plantation, located north of Interstate 20 at Flowers, Mississippi, was established by the Flowers family after they moved to Warren County from North Carolina in the 1820’s. The name comes from Ceres, the mythological Roman goddess of agriculture, grain crops, fertility and motherly relationships.

Although the Flowers family apparently lived on the property since the 1820s, the current one-and-a-half story, center-hall, double-pile, galleried, Greek Revival planters cottage, appears to be either a substantial reworking of an earlier house or, more likely, was newly constructed circa 1860. The house survived the war and apparently served as safe haven for refugees fleeing Vicksburg during its siege by Union forces in 1863. After the war, the family’s economic interests moved beyond agriculture into various other businesses. In 1935, Uriah Grey Flowers, retired from his business ventures and focused his attention on operating the plantation.

The plantation remained in the Flowers family until 1986 when the Warren County Port Commission acquired the property and developed the Ceres Research and Industrial Interplex. Despite its temporary use as first a restaurant and then a plant nursery, the Port Commission has no long term plans for the preservation of the house and outbuildings, and consequently plans to demolish the complex.

Ceres Plantation is a rare surviving example of a mid 19th to early 20th century plantation complex in Warren County Mississippi. Despite a rehabilitation in the late 1970s that added the two flanking wings and made other modifications to the house, it still retains much of its original character and is significant in its own right, both for its architecture and its history. In addition, the barns and other outbuildings on the former plantation are also significant in that they show the continuation of the agricultural use of the property for over 150 years.

2017 Update – Lost

Ceres Plantation was demolished by the Warren County Port Commission in July 2012.

Tell your Story

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *